For Emergencies & Appointments call: 01226 242217

Tiny Puppy Survives After Swallowing Box Of Nurofen

A tiny puppy gave his owners a real headache when he swallowed a whole box of nurofen tablets – amounting to 80 times the toxic dose.

Miggles_20109_129992012472465766
The overdose would have been enough to kill most dogs, never mind one as small as Miggles. He is a Jack Russell/Chihuahua cross, weighing just 1.2 kilos – which is little more than a bag of sugar.

His owner, Emma Robinson, of High Green, Sheffield, noticed that there was something wrong when she returned home and saw Miggles staggering about in the kitchen, with the remnants of a 16-tablet box of nurofen on the floor. He soon slipped into a coma and his life was in the balance but Emma rushed him straight to Abbey Vets in Barnsley.

Vet Lisa Flood said: “For a dog so small and an overdose so large his chances of survival were slim. We made him vomit to empty his stomach, gave him activated charcoal to help to absorb any toxin that may have remained and started medications to counteract the effects of the nurofen.

“We were concerned about seizures, gut ulceration, perforation of the gut lining and kidney failure but this little dog was a real fighter and has made a remarkable recovery.”

Emma Robinson said: “We are delighted to have Miggles back. It was really touch and go at one point but amazingly he rallied round. He’s as mischievous as ever, so we are now making sure that we keep any tablets well away from him.”