Use our poisons risk guide here to identify common substances, which can be poisonous to our dogs, to help ensure our dogs safety.
If you do suspect your dog may have been exposed to any of the substances below, seek emergency treatment from us, as soon as possible. To assist us in establishing the identity of the poison, take any evidence of the poison, vomit and packaging with you. Also please advise us of any symptoms your dog has been displaying, however small they may seem to you, this can be vital in diagnosing which toxic substance your dog may have been poisoned with. Also read the label on any packet or container, for specific instructions or antidote and take this along with you to your our practice.
Young puppies are especially at risk, through their tendency to chew and inquisitive nature in wanting to discover new things.
Sometimes if our dogs have contaminated their paws or coat, they will ingest the poison through licking or grooming themselves. (It may also be absorbed through the skin.) Telephone your vet straight away to get the correct advice. Note of caution; if we advise using a substance to remove the poison from your dog's coat or paws, such as a detergent or swarfega, ensure the substance is also fully removed afterwards, as dogs may also lick these substances and poison themselves with it.
Because of the extensive list of potential toxic substances around to poison our dogs, we advise not to induce vomiting before consulting with us. Many poisons are corrosive and it may be dangerous to induce vomiting if poisoning has take place with these substances.
However, always rinse your dog's skin, eyes mouth or face to remove any poisonous substance your dog may have been exposed to as soon as possible.
Click Here for detailed Poisons Information.